During 1920 the Post made several attempts to take charge of the New Ulm Armory. They did not work out. Finally, in May 1924, the Post arranged its first Club Room…in the Band Room of the Armory. Membership stood at 94. Later that year a room in the Armory once planned as a bowling alley was fixed up for the Post Meeting Room. In subsequent years the Post used the Armory frequently for dances.
The Minnesota National Guard Armory, 205 North Broadway, was dedicated in May, 1916. Burg’s Battery, New Ulm’s private army dating from 1863, welcomed Governor J. A. A. Burnquist to the ceremony with a 21-gun salute. This Armory has served Minnesota and the United States for over 100 years. Currently it is occupied by the Minnesota Army National Guard Headquarters Battery Battalion Headquarters.
EDITOR: George L. Glotzbach
CREDITS: Photo: Denis Warta. Text: Al Ascher and George L. Glotzbach, Historians