Click images to enlarge
Forgotten now are the two naval cannons and two pyramids of cannon balls which stood astride the the front entrance to the Brown County Courthouse. They were reclaimed as scrap metal during World War II. Their replacements are in a similar position today. See the “before and after” photos here, along with two plaques which tell the story. It is monuments such as this which help sustain the validity of the American Legion and other veterans organizations in the life of Brown County today.
EDITOR: George L. Glotzbach (who remembers playing on the old cannons as a boy during the 1930’s.)
CREDITS: Old photo: Elroy Ubl. New photos: Charles Enter & Greg Peterson. Text: Willibald Eibner.