Photo from New Ulm Chamber of Commerce.
The Brown County Veterans Memorial on the grounds of the County Courthouse at 14 South State Street, New Ulm, MN, was dedicated November 11, 1999. It consists of a walled plaza made up of dedicated paver stones, with the monument placed in the center rear.
The monument is about 12′ wide, 12′ deep, and 16′ tall. It consists of three pillars of light and dark tone grey granite. They hold aloft bronze statuary made up of three rifles, holding aloft a globe upon which stands an American Eagle. In the center is a piece of polished red granite in the shape of the State of Minnesota showing Brown County, on which rests a plaque which reads: “DEDICATED TO ALL BROWN COUNTY VETERANS”. On the reverse are listed all the wars in which veterans served during war or during peacetime from 1817 to the present day. Also listed are six County veteran’s organizations: American Legion, American Legion Auxiliary, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Military Order of the Purple Heart, American Ex-Prisoners of War, and Disabled American Veterans. Also listed are the Brown County towns in which these organizations are located: New Ulm, Sleepy Eye, Springfield, Comfrey, and Hanska.
Paver stones carry the name and rank of a veteran, plus the war in which each participated. Currently there are 2,192 veterans represented, with more being added monthly. The paver area is being expanded to accomodate them.
The original monument and plaza cost about $157,800, paid for by businesses, veterans, and their families and friends. Granite came from Royal Melrose Granite, Cold Spring, MN. The bronze statuary came from Innocast, Inc., Howard Lake, MN. Bloedel Monument Company of New Ulm, MN served as advisors.
CREDITS: George L. Glotzbach